If you smoke
or use other
Know that quitting tobacco is the best thing you can do to immediately improve your health.
The Oregon Tobacco Quit Line (1-800-QUIT-NOW
or 1-800-784-8669) is open 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. Coaching is available in many languages and to all Oregonians, regardless of income or insurance status.
Friendly, non-judgmental quit coaches will help you make your own plan to fit your own life. No pressure, no guilt. Coaches can:
- help you figure out if you are eligible for free nicotine gum or the patch
- provide tips on what to do when you have the urge to smoke, chew or use other tobacco products
- help you plan for times and situations when you usually use tobacco, and provide ways to change these routines when you quit
- talk about what hasn’t worked, if you’ve already tried to quit, and new things you could try
- tell you about medications that can help you quit
- may be able to send you free nicotine patches or gum
- send you a Quit Guide chosen just for you
Once you have a quit plan, ask for support and plan your rewards. Tell your family and friends about your quit plan and ask for their support, and plan rewards for yourself.
After you quit, celebrate! Save money! Enjoy better health! Feel great about yourself!
If you ever need more help, call the Quit Line again for free.
If you care
about a smoker
Motivate people who smoke in your life with the knowledge that the No. 1 thing they can do to improve their health and extend their lives is to quit smoking.
Overall, be supportive, patient and encouraging.
Celebrate success. When the person quitting has been off cigarettes for 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, etc., plan something special. Visit a favorite park, for example, or take a day trip to a fun destination.